FINGERPRINT-BASED BACKGROUND CHECK PROCEDURE – Act 114
*Effective April 1, 2007, Act 114 of 2006, Section 111 of the Public School Code was amended to require all school district employees to provide to their employer a copy of their Federal Criminal History Record*
NEW HIRES – this is required
1. The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Registration is completed online (www.pa.cogentid.com) - ( ***click on PA DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION*** ) or over the phone (1-888-439-2486, Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm). You will receive a registration number that you need to provide to the school district to verify your record.
2. The applicant will pay a fee for the fingerprint service. Payment can be made online at www.pa.cogentid.com using a debit or credit card. Money orders or cashier checks payable to 3M Cogent will be accepted on site. No cash transactions or personal checks are allowed.
3. The applicant proceeds to the fingerprint site of their choice for fingerprinting. Locations are posted on Cogent Systems’ website at www.pa.cogentid.com .
4. Applicants must present a State or Federal photo ID at the fingerprinting site before their transaction can be processed. A listing of approved ID types can be found at www.pa.cogentid.com .
5. The fingerprinting capture process then takes place and should take no more than three to five minutes.
6. The applicant’s scanned fingerprints will be electronically transmitted to the Pennsylvania State Police, who in turn submits the fingerprints and demographic information to the FBI as required by federal statute.
7. The school entity will review the official report online. (Effective 2/1/12 all applicants will receive an unofficial paper copy of the report at no additional cost to the applicant.)
8. The school will place a copy of the record in the employee’s personnel file upon hire. (The school is not permitted to provide a copy to the applicant.)